In 1986 John Hayman met a lady who had a pot in her garden which had no markings but an extraordinary story. Richard Glynn Vivian, who lived at Sketty Hall, purchased a collection of paintings for his home. In 1905 he offered the town his paintings and money to endow a municipal art gallery, this offer was accepted. By the time the gallery was opened in 1909 Glynn Vivian was dead, but J.H. Knibbs, who had been his valet, and who had travelled with him on his journeys, was made the gallery caretaker. The Clyne pot was one of the pieces on show in his first exhibition held after the gallery opened and it was later given to Mr Knibbs, whose daughter had the pot in her garden when John Hayman met her in 1986.